Electricity & Gas in Leicester, Leicestershire in 2021
How to get the best energy deal in Leicester
Last updated: September 2021.
Despite growing concerns about financial stabiliy amongst households in the UK, many are unaware that they may be drastically overpaying for their energy supply. Switching energy suppliers can actually save you up to £400 a year on the power that you need to keep your home operating! Below we break drown the cheapest energy in Leicester, as well as the most reliable and the greenest energy companies in the area!
Every property has different energy requirements and now that you are living in Leicester, Leicestershire, it is the perfect time to reevaluate your energy supply. No matter what type of property you are living in, whether it be a flat, a house, a bungalow, or any other type of property, finding the right energy supplier for your needs is important. In Leicester there are 194,889 properties for 507,532 Leicesterians, each of these properties has unique needs, so finding the right energy tariff and switchingcan ultimately put money back into your pocket!
What do you need to know about your gas & electricity distribution network operators in Leicester?
Distribution network operators (DNOs) for gas and electricity provide the necessary maintenance on the energy infrastructure throughout the UK. These are the people that respond to ensure gas lines are appropriately maintained and ensure that powerlines are supported with the right amount of care. Knowing who the DNOs in Leicester can be very helpful in a pinch.
Who to contact during a power outage in Leicester
If you live in Leicester and your home is experiencing a power outage, do not panic here is how to resolve it. In case you haven’t already, check if the power outage is only in your home or in the surrounding area. Have a quick look at your fuse box and see if any switches are off. If this is not the case it is possible that there is a power outage in part of Leicester. If this is the case, call your local Distribution Network Operator at 0800 096 3080 and inform them. In Leicester, your local DNO is Western Power Distribution. In case they haven't already, they will send out some experts to check the problem and find a solution. This generally doesn't take very long but depends entirely on the situation.
Contact information for the energy distributors of Leicester
Leicesterians can reach out to Leicestershire's local gas or electricity distributors to discuss the following topics:
- Power shortage
- Safety regulations
- Job opportunities
If you want to contact your energy distributors by phone, below is a table with their opening hours and telephone numbers in case of an emergency related to your energy supply.
|Distributor||Number opening hours||Telephone number|
|Leicestershire Western Power Distribution Emergency Number||24/7||0800 6783 105|
|Leicestershire Western Power Distribution Non-Emergency Number||Monday to Friday, 8am to 5pm||0800 096 3080|
|Leicestershire Cadent Gas Emergency Number||24/7||0800 111 999|
|Leicestershire Cadent Gas Non-Emergency Number||Monday to Friday, 8am to 5pm||0345 835 1111|
Frequently asked questions about energy in Leicestershire
Can you generate your own energy in Leicester?
Yes, you can generate your own electricity in Leicester, but it will depend on the type of home you have. While many homes are compatible with solar panels or could benefit from a personal wind turbine on the property, some are not. For instance, those living in apartment complexes may need full agreement between all the building's residents and the complex manager before any renewable energy generation methods are put into
Why did my energy bill go up after I moved to Leicester?
There are a number of factors that impact your energy bill, and among them is location. If you moved to Leicester from a different part of the UK the difference in cost could be considerable. This is why we suggest switching suppliers whenever you move houses, as it ensures you are comparing the market and finding the best deal for your needs.
Is it expensive to switch energy suppliers in Leicester?
Switching energy suppliers in Leicester is usually free! However, if you have an exit fee built into your current energy tariff plan you might have to pay to be allowed to switch. Exit fees can range from £15 to £60 per fuel, which could be expensive enough to make waiting for the contract to end sound more appealing.
How to make your energy bill cheaper in Leicester
Now that you're getting settled in Leicester, it may be a good time to consider what steps you can take to keep your energy bill low. For your convenience, we've developed a shortlist of our top suggestions for reducing your bill.
- Check your new home's EPC rating. This will tell you how energy efficient your home is, if it is low, then you could consider installing additional insulation or double-paned windows which allow less heat to escape.
- Confirm that you are using energy-efficient home appliances, regularly used items like refrigerators, washers and dryers should have a high-efficiency rating. Upgrading these appliances may be expensive, but the savings will be noticeable over time.
- Cut down on your consumption; if you can hang dry clothes rather than use the dryer, only turn on the aircon when you need it, and unplug items when you aren't using them.
- Convert to an Economy 7 Meter: E7 Meters offer cheaper electricity rates at off-peak times like at night, so if that's when you use the most power you could save a lot!
- Install energy-saving lightbulbs.
- Don't crank up the heat, even if it is cold outside.
Which energy providers are active in Leicester?
Leicester has several energy suppliers to choose from, but it may be difficult to decide which one is the right fit for you. You could be looking for the cheapest energy supplier in Leicester or maybe you're looking for the most popular supplier in Leicester. Either way, we have you covered!
Below you'll find information on the cheapest, most popular and even the most reliable energy suppliers in the city of Leicester.
Which energy companies are the most popular in Leicester?
The most chosen energy supplier in East Midlands is British Gas. This is also the case in the other big cities of Leicestershire, for example Leicester, Loughborough and Hinckley. British Gas may be the most chosen supplier in Leicester, however this does not make it the ideal choice for you.
If you already live in Leicester, you might find that your energy is supplied by them. Many Leicesterians have stuck with British Gas despite it being free to change at any time! If you've been with British Gas for a while now, the likelihood is that you're overpaying for your monthly energy consumption. This isn't exclusive to British Gas, but for any supplier you've been with for a long time. That's why at Switch Plan we believe it's important to shop around for different energy deals every once in a while.
Leicester dwellers can make substantial savings on energy related expenses by switching their current providers. Switch Plan helps thousands of Leicesterians make the switch from one provider to another and save! Switching to a new energy provider can save a single household in Leicester upwards of £400.
Looking for more energy tariffs in Leicester, visit our supplier pages by clicking on the following links:
How to get your energy supply set up for a new home in Leicester
Are you living in Leicester? Leicester is the 7th largest city in the UK, with 194,889 properties. Each property has an average of 2.6 Leicesterians residing in it. With 507,532 residents in Leicester.
Moving to your new house in Leicester is the perfect time to switch energy suppliers. With all the paperwork and admin you are already having to complete, why not add one more easy task into the mix. We aren't lying when we say it's easy. In fact, it's more often than not very necessary as well. A new property has different energy requirements since it might be a different size in meters squared, it might have a different number of rooms, and perhaps even come with solar panels. These are all reasons that you will need to shop around for a new energy plan.
It’s definitely worth looking for a new supplier, when setting up your energy supply in Leicester. Starting on a new energy plan means you will get a great deal. Besides, you usually can't transfer your energy plan from one property to another.
Remember, moving to a new energy plan, whether it's in a new property or the same one, might involve exit fees. It's important to be aware of this so you aren't surprised by any unforeseen charges! Read our guide on how to compare energy plans to avoid any unpleasant surprise.
Transferring your current supplier to your new home in Leicester.
While this may seem like the natural idea, it is not always the best option as switching suppliers during a move might save you a lot. Your new house will likely have different energy requirements and by transferring your current supply over it may be less efficient and as a result, you may be losing money. This is why it is always important to consider switching suppliers when moving home. There is a good chance that you will find an energy supplier that is the perfect fit for your new home. All it takes is one short phone call with one of our energy experts on the following number 0330 818 6224 to save you money and find you the best energy supplier for you. This service is free for all those that call and will save you a considerable amount of time compared to the effort it would take to research energy suppliers and tariff deals on your own.
If the potential savings don't interest you and. you are certain that you'd like to stay with the same supplier for your gas and electricity then you must be wondering how to transfer your energy supplier to your new home in Leicester.
First thing you must check the following:
- Whether or not your previous tariff is available in Leicestershire.
- What kind of energy meter your new home has and whether it is compatible with your old tariff.
- Whether your new home runs on both electricity and gas. This will affect whether you can get a dual fuel discount.
If this is all in check then contact your energy supplier in Leicester or Switch Plan directly and we will deal with the process. Before calling them make sure you have your new address and postcode at hand.
Even if the house is supplied by your current supplier, make sure you do make the switch because you will automatically be switched to a tariff plan that may be different from the one you were previously using. The rates of these tariffs that they switch you to are usually less competitively priced than other available tariffs, so you may prefer to transfer over your previous rate or even switch suppliers altogether.
It is important to note that some suppliers and tariffs (generally fixed tariffs) have exit fees. You will be able to check this in the tariff details of your contract. If you want to learn more about exit fees be sure to check out our article on comparing energy plans, to make sure you aren't caught out by any surprise exit charges.
Numbers you should know if you live in Leicester
After moving to Leicester, you will need to get familiar with the most important local phone numbers. Below you will find a list of several numbers and addresses that may be useful for you. Make sure to keep this list somewhere where you will remember it in your new home. In case of an emergency, these numbers are always good to have close at hand.
|Water Services||Anglian Water||Lancaster House, Lancaster Way, Ermine Business Park, Huntingdon, PE29 6YJ||Phone: +44 (0)1480 323 000
Fax: +44 (0)1480 323 115
Moving to Leicestershire? Who you'll need to contact as soon as possible.
There is a long list of important contacts you will need to reach out to before relocating to Leicester. Below we have crafted a list of some of the most important places to warn ahead of your moving day. Now that you are changing cities, make sure to update the following list with your new address.
- Local council and the electoral roll
- Broadband and phone providers
- TV licensing authority
- DVLA in order to update your driving license.
- Gas and electricity suppliers
It is important you update all of the above, or the new tenant from your old property will be receiving your bills and so forth. You may also want to go to your local post office and ask for any mail to be forwarded from your old address to your new home in Leicestershire.
What is the process to connect to the Leicester energy grid?
It is probable that your new home is already connected to the grid in Leicestershire, however, if you are moving into a new build you need to ensure that it has been connected to the grid in order to get an energy connection.
- Contact National Grid Energy Transmission (NGET) 0800 688 588 to arrange a pre-application meeting. This will be about workload, timeline and cost.
- Filling in application forms and submitting them to the Electricity Systems Operator (ESO). Don’t be surprised about the application cost.
- A team will visit your house and give you a quote 1 to 3 working weeks later.
- Thorough time for construction necessary to set up the connection to the grid.
- Reach out to either your energy supplier or your regional DNO, $distribution_network_operator, to ensure energy is flowing properly to your new address.
As you can see it is quite a timely process to get a connection to the grid, so try not to leave it until the days before moving in. It’s best to organise it alongside the build of your new property.
How can Switch Plan can aid in your move to Leicester?
Moving can be a stressful period in your life, especially if it's to a new city that you are not 100% familiar with. To help as much as we can we have prepared this step by step list to ensure you will have energy provided to your new home in Leicester.
- Before moving to your new home in Leicestershire, the / largest county in the UK, you will need to cancel your current energy plan. It is important to let your supplier know when you will be moving to ensure that you are not charged for any energy that you did not use. On the off chance that you have forgotten who your current energy supplier is, you can visit the Ofgem website to find out. Or you can contact Leicester’s distribution network operator, Western Power Distribution at 0800 096 3080.
- When you arrive at your new home, make sure to take a meter reading, to ensure you are not paying for the energy consumption of the property's previous tenants.
- Give some thought to the energy requirements of your new home & benchmark competitors. We advise that before you pick up the phone to give us a ring, to have a think about what you are looking for from an energy supplier. Are you looking for a green energy tariff or a cheaper plan? Give some thought to what you may want so that the experts at Switch Plan can provide you with it. If you do not change suppliers you will likely end up on a deemed contract, therefore you are better off to consider switching or at least renewing with that supplier with a proper contract.
At Switch Plan, we can assist you with setting up your new energy supply. Simply give us a call at 0330 818 6224. We can switch your energy supply to a new provider completely free of charge.