Electricity & Gas in Stowmarket, Suffolk in 2021
How to get the best energy deal in Stowmarket
Last updated: September 2021.
Switching energy suppliers isn't just for when you move house, in fact finding the cheapest energy supplier available or a supplier that offers renewable energy might be something you should actively consider. You can, and indeed you should switch suppliers every 12 to 18 months in your current property, to ensure that you aren't being overcharged. No matter how long you have lived in Suffolk and stuck with your energy supplier, it's never too late to switch and make savings. In fact, switching energy suppliers has saved some Brits up to £400 a year on their energy bills. Make sure you're one of them!
There are tons of options, you could be looking for the cheapest energy supplier in Stowmarket or the most renewable energy suppler in Stowmarket. Nobody is going to be looking for exactly the same thing, which means that it is important to listen to people that know what they're talking about! In this article we break down all the information you may need as a resident of Stowmarket and how you can find the perfect energy company for you!
How to get your energy supply set up for a new home in Stowmarket
Now that you've officially a resident of Stowmarket, welcome! Congratulations on your move, but the next step is getting settled. One of the first things you'll need to do if you haven't already established a power supply for your home!
This is something that we can really help with! If you take the time to call us we can easily have our energy experts help you determine the best available energy supplier for your needs, or if you'd prefer walk you through the process of transferring your current energy supply to your new house. In either case, the services that we provide are completely free and are meant to make your life much easier. The hardest part of the move to Stowmarket should be over, and we're here to make sure you can get settled and relaxed as quickly as possible!
How can Switch Plan can aid in your move to Stowmarket?
Moving can be a stressful period in your life, especially if it's to a new city that you are not 100% familiar with. To help as much as we can we have prepared this step by step list to ensure you will have energy provided to your new home in Stowmarket.
- Before moving to your new home in Suffolk, the 7th largest county in the UK, you will need to cancel your current energy plan. It is important to let your supplier know when you will be moving to ensure that you are not charged for any energy that you did not use. On the off chance that you have forgotten who your current energy supplier is, you can visit the Ofgem website to find out. Or you can contact Stowmarket’s distribution network operator, UK Power Networks at 0800 029 4285.
- When you arrive at your new home, make sure to take a meter reading, to ensure you are not paying for the energy consumption of the property's previous tenants.
- Give some thought to the energy requirements of your new home & benchmark competitors. We advise that before you pick up the phone to give us a ring, to have a think about what you are looking for from an energy supplier. Are you looking for a green energy tariff or a cheaper plan? Give some thought to what you may want so that the experts at Switch Plan can provide you with it. If you do not change suppliers you will likely end up on a deemed contract, therefore you are better off to consider switching or at least renewing with that supplier with a proper contract.
At Switch Plan, we can assist you with setting up your new energy supply. Simply give us a call at 0330 818 6224. We can switch your energy supply to a new provider completely free of charge.
What is the process to connect to the Stowmarket energy grid?
It is probable that your new home is already connected to the grid in Suffolk, however, if you are moving into a new build you need to ensure that it has been connected to the grid in order to get an energy connection.
- Contact National Grid Energy Transmission (NGET) 0800 688 588 to arrange a pre-application meeting. This will be about workload, timeline and cost.
- Filling in application forms and submitting them to the Electricity Systems Operator (ESO). Don’t be surprised about the application cost.
- A team will visit your house and give you a quote 1 to 3 working weeks later.
- Thorough time for construction necessary to set up the connection to the grid.
- Reach out to either your energy supplier or your regional DNO, $distribution_network_operator, to ensure energy is flowing properly to your new address.
As you can see it is quite a timely process to get a connection to the grid, so try not to leave it until the days before moving in. It’s best to organise it alongside the build of your new property.
Numbers you should know if you live in Stowmarket
Now that you are moving to Stowmarket, or whether you are already a resident it is always useful to have the local phone numbers of places like the local ambulance and hospital. Keep them registered in your phone or somewhere safe, so you know who to call if need be. You can see the list of numbers below.
|Water Services||Anglian Water||Lancaster House, Lancaster Way, Ermine Business Park, Huntingdon, PE29 6YJ||Phone: +44 (0)1480 323 000
Fax: +44 (0)1480 323 115
Transferring your current supplier to your new home in Stowmarket.
While this may seem like the natural idea, it is not always the best option as switching suppliers during a move might save you a lot. Your new house will likely have different energy requirements and by transferring your current supply over it may be less efficient and as a result, you may be losing money. This is why it is always important to consider switching suppliers when moving home. There is a good chance that you will find an energy supplier that is the perfect fit for your new home. All it takes is one short phone call with one of our energy experts on the following number 0330 818 6224 to save you money and find you the best energy supplier for you. This service is free for all those that call and will save you a considerable amount of time compared to the effort it would take to research energy suppliers and tariff deals on your own.
If the potential savings don't interest you and. you are certain that you'd like to stay with the same supplier for your gas and electricity then you must be wondering how to transfer your energy supplier to your new home in Stowmarket.
First thing you must check the following:
- Whether or not your previous tariff is available in Suffolk.
- What kind of energy meter your new home has and whether it is compatible with your old tariff.
- Whether your new home runs on both electricity and gas. This will affect whether you can get a dual fuel discount.
If this is all in check then contact your energy supplier in Stowmarket or Switch Plan directly and we will deal with the process. Before calling them make sure you have your new address and postcode at hand.
Even if the house is supplied by your current supplier, make sure you do make the switch because you will automatically be switched to a tariff plan that may be different from the one you were previously using. The rates of these tariffs that they switch you to are usually less competitively priced than other available tariffs, so you may prefer to transfer over your previous rate or even switch suppliers altogether.
It is important to note that some suppliers and tariffs (generally fixed tariffs) have exit fees. You will be able to check this in the tariff details of your contract. If you want to learn more about exit fees be sure to check out our article on comparing energy plans, to make sure you aren't caught out by any surprise exit charges.
Moving to Suffolk? Who you'll need to contact as soon as possible.
There is a long list of important contacts you will need to reach out to before relocating to Stowmarket. Below we have crafted a list of some of the most important places to warn ahead of your moving day. Now that you are changing cities, make sure to update the following list with your new address.
- Local council and the electoral roll
- Broadband and phone providers
- TV licensing authority
- DVLA in order to update your driving license.
- Gas and electricity suppliers
It is important you update all of the above, or the new tenant from your old property will be receiving your bills and so forth. You may also want to go to your local post office and ask for any mail to be forwarded from your old address to your new home in Suffolk.
Stowmarket’s energy distribution network operators for gas & electricity
Distribution network operators (DNOs) for gas and electricity provide the necessary maintenance on the energy infrastructure throughout the UK. These are the people that respond to ensure gas lines are appropriately maintained and ensure that powerlines are supported with the right amount of care. Knowing who the DNOs in Stowmarket can be very helpful in a pinch.
Contact information for the energy distributors of Stowmarket
Stowmarket inhabitants can reach out to Suffolk's local gas or electricity distributors to discuss the following topics:
- Power shortage
- Safety regulations
- Job opportunities
If you want to contact your energy distributors by phone, below is a table with their opening hours and telephone numbers in case of an emergency related to your energy supply.
|Distributor||Number opening hours||Telephone number|
|Suffolk UK Power Networks Emergency Number||24/7||0800 31 63 105|
|Suffolk UK Power Networks Non-Emergency Number||Monday to Friday 9.00am to 5.00pm||0800 029 4285|
|Suffolk Cadent Gas Emergency Number||24/7||0800 111 999|
|Suffolk Cadent Gas Non-Emergency Number||Monday to Friday 9.00am to 5.00pm||0345 835 1111|
Who to contact during a power outage in Stowmarket
If you live in Stowmarket and your home is experiencing a power outage, do not panic here is how to resolve it. In case you haven’t already, check if the power outage is only in your home or in the surrounding area. Have a quick look at your fuse box and see if any switches are off. If this is not the case it is possible that there is a power outage in part of Stowmarket. If this is the case, call your local Distribution Network Operator at 0800 029 4285 and inform them. In Stowmarket, your local DNO is UK Power Networks. In case they haven't already, they will send out some experts to check the problem and find a solution. This generally doesn't take very long but depends entirely on the situation.
FAQ's about energy in Stowmarket
Can you generate your own energy in Stowmarket?
The answer to this question will depend on the type of home that you have Stowmarket, some homes are capable of equipping solar panels on the roof and some can even install personal wind turbines. These systems can generate power on your own in tandem with the power you are supplier by your energy provider. However, not all homes can generate their own power so it will depend on the property, for instance living in an apartment complex may limit your ability to generate your own energy.
Is it expensive to switch energy suppliers in Stowmarket?
Typically yes, you can switch suppliers in Stowmarket at no cost at all, however, if you are in a tariff contract that has an exit fee you might have to pay an exit fee if you are leaving your contract before it expires. Exit fees can range between £15 to £40, but some can go as high as £60 if you attempt to abandon the contract.
Why did my energy bill go up after I moved to Stowmarket?
There are a number of factors that impact your energy bill, and among them is location. If you moved to Stowmarket from a different part of the UK the difference in cost could be considerable. This is why we suggest switching suppliers whenever you move houses, as it ensures you are comparing the market and finding the best deal for your needs.
Sustainable and renewable energy in Stowmarket
Nowadays, consumers actively seek out ways to help the environment, and as a result are happy to pay a certain premium to ensure that the product or service they are using is sustainable or responsibly sourced. In regards to renewable energy in Stowmarket, we go into detail about average energy use, and what suppliers you can opt for to ensure that you are powering your home in an environmentally friendly way.
What you can do to help the environment as a resident in Stowmarket
Reducing your carbon footprint in Stowmarket might sound like a big undertaking but it actually isn't, and by doing so you can actually decrease your energy considerably depending on how much you cut back your consumption. Below we've made a shortlist of low effort actions you can take to help the environment and lower your energy costs at the same time.
- Light your home with energy-efficient LED or CFL bulbs.
- Replace your LCD TV with an LED TV that offers superior picture quality but uses less energy.
- Turn down your electric heating a notch. Even a change of a single degree could save up to £80 on your annual energy bill.
- Install a smart thermostat that allows you to reduce the amount you spend on heating without compromising comfort. These cost around £220 but can save you over £350 per year on your heating bills.
- Unplug your TV, set-top boxes, games consoles etc. when not in use, these electronics can still be using energy when they are in standby mode.
- Do your washing at night; washing machines, dryers and dishwashers can require a lot of power to operate. Using these appliances at night tends to cost less and limiting the time you use them could lead to less energy consumption.
- A A+++ rated fridge/freezer, for instance, will save over £300 on your energy bills throughout the product's lifetime.
- If you can, layer up while relaxing at home rather than cranking up the heat.
What’s the average energy consumption in Suffolk?
"Do you ever wonder whether you consume more energy than the average UK resident? There are actually several easy ways to lower your energy consumption and lower your energy bills. For your information, the average consumption of energy in Stowmarket is 3,555.40 kWh per year, and the median is 3,056.58 kWh per year. If this figure is seems really low to you, it could be because you are overusing energy in your home. It may be time to consider looking at ways to reduce your energy consumption at home. "
Sustainable energy companies in Stowmarket
In the UK many energy suppliers like to claim that they offer green, renewable or sustainable energy but somehow are actually not using any renewable methods to generate their power. This is because of REGO certificates, which means renewable energy guaranteed origin, this is a government initiative to allow users to trace energy back to renewable sources, however, these certificates can be sold on a secondary market so big suppliers buy them in bulk to be able to claim their energy is sustainable while they continue to pollute the planet.
While there are many UK energy suppliers that do this sort of greenwashing, the following energy suppliers genuinely are as green as they claim to be:
Gas & electricity suppliers in Stowmarket
Stowmarket has several energy suppliers to choose from, but it may be difficult to decide which one is the right fit for you. You could be looking for the cheapest energy supplier in Stowmarket or maybe you're looking for the most popular supplier in Stowmarket. Either way, we have you covered!
Below you'll find information on the cheapest, most popular and even the most reliable energy suppliers in the city of Stowmarket.
Which energy companies are the most popular in Stowmarket?
In East of England, British Gas is the most used energy supplier. This is also the case in Suffolk as well as the county's biggest cities such as Ipswich, Lowestoft and Bury St Edmunds. If you are a customer of British Gas there is a high chance that you could save lots of money on your energy bills just by switching suppliers. Best of all you are free to switch suppliers at any time, so be sure to compare prices and even different suppliers to find a more suitable energy deal.
Many people do not know this but you are free to switch providers at any time. Our experts at Switch Plan are here to help and guide you through your switch. They will offer you expert advice based on your personal energy requirements. All it takes is a quick phone call to the following number 0330 818 6224 Are you one of the thousands of households in Stowmarket that will opt for a switch with us?
To discover the tariffs of some of the main suppliers in Stowmarket, visit our dedicated pages by clicking on the links bellow:
Cheapest energy companies in Stowmarket
"There are a number of energy suppliers in Stowmarket to choose from, but if you're interested in saving as much as possible then it may be stressful to sort through all of the options. To make this process easier for you, we've developed a list of the UK's cheapest standard variable tariff plans, which have a great chance of being available in Stowmarket. While there is always more to consider than just price, it is an important factor to consider when choosing your energy supplier.
See the pricing comparison below, which consists of the yearly electricity and gas costs as well as the annual average total costs for each supplier's standard variable tariff:
|Supplier Name||Standard Variable Tariff Name||Electricity Average Annual Cost||Gas Average Annual Cost||Annual Average Total Costs|
|Outfox the Market||One Green Flex||640.214||456.971||1,097.184|
|Orbit Energy||5% OFF 4 LIFE||588.581||444.185||1,032.765|
|Igloo Energy||Igloo Pioneer||595.576||17.820||1074.333|
With so many energy suppliers to choose from, make sure you decide one based on your needs and requirements. Don’t hesitate to give us a call if you have any queries related to your current or future energy supply. Our experts will be glad to help you! You can reach them at 0330 818 6224.
Minimising your utility bills in Stowmarket
Now that you've moved to Stowmarket you may be wondering how you can keep costs down, after all, moving can be quite costly. One of the easiest ways that you can cut costs is through some energy-saving tips and tricks that could lead to significant savings over time.
For your convenience, we've developed a shortlist of our favourite life hacks for reducing your bill.
- Convert to an Economy 7 Meter: E7 Meters offer cheaper electricity rates at off-peak times like at night, so if that's when you use the most power you could save a lot!
- Check your new home's EPC rating. This will tell you how energy efficient your home is, if it is low, then you could consider installing additional insulation or double-paned windows which allow less heat to escape.
- Cut down on your consumption; if you can hang dry clothes rather than use the dryer, only turn on the aircon when you need it, and unplug items when you aren't using them.
- Confirm that you are using energy-efficient home appliances, regularly used items like refrigerators, washers and dryers should have a high-efficiency rating. Upgrading these appliances may be expensive, but the savings will be noticeable over time.
- Install energy-saving lightbulbs.
- Don't crank up the heat, even if it is cold outside.